Saturday, April 28, 2012

Review: If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Title: If I Stay
Author: Gayle Forman
Published April 2nd 2009 by Dutton Juvenile         
Goodreads | Amazon
__________________________________



Why do you lie to me, people? Here I am thinking this is gonna be one of the best books I've ever read, a real tear-jerker, one of those "changed the way I am now" kind of books.

And what do I get?: none of that. Nada. And I'm not mad, because by now I've learned that most of the time I go against the current when it comes to big-hype YA books, but for once, I mean have you seen the fan masses behind this book?, I thought this book had a good chance with me.

So anyway, you all know the plot, Mia's family has died in a horrible car crash and she's in critical condition, now Mia is at the limbo, wondering what's best, to let go and go with them or to stay. That sounds good, right? I bought this book months and months ago thinking it sounded excellent, but the journey that she goes through is full of old, boring memories. I know I sound mean but ahhh really, there were just so.many.memories, just when I thought we've gotten past the 'I just had the best father/mother/brother/boyfriend/grandma/neighbors/music teacher/life' memory, another would come my way at the turn of the page


And it's not that I don't like flashbacks, I mean I enjoy them as much as the next girl, but seriously, this book was all written in flashbacks. And that was a little boring.

But moving on, I liked the parts were the real-time was going on, when Mia's body is at the hospital and everyone comes to visit her, those parts were sweet. Except for maybe that time Adam sneaks into her room in the hospital, that I know people might think it's romantic, but as a med student I just find it reckless and stupid and if I were Mia's doctor I would have been annoyed haha.

I would say though, that I really want to try the sequel, Where She Went, because at the end of my copy, there's a chapter of it and it's in Adam's POV and it was fantastic, I'm hooked (although I have a feeling I know exactly where the story is going, my guess is on Mia loosing her memory and not knowing who Adam was, and Adam taking off).

Feel free to throw virtual tomatoes at me for not liking it.



2 comments:

  1. You're definitely in the minority for those opinions chica. I loved all the memories. I felt like it made you ten times more upset that the amazing people in those memories are now gone, but I guess when you get tired of something then it just drives you nuts...interesting thoughts though! thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess is just that I found it difficult to believe her family was so darn perfect, :/

      besides, it's true that the things you remember the most are the bad things, like when someone asks you what's the best mooment of your life you kinda struggle with that one, but when they ask for the worst, several come to mind in seconds.

      But the writing was great, what bother me was that it didn't felt that real ):

      Thank you! :)

      Delete

I love your beautiful face!