Monday, March 30, 2015

Review: Solitaire by Alice Oseman

Title: Solitaire
Author: Alice Oseman
Expected publication: March 30th 2015 by HarperTeen
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Goodreads | Amazon | The BookDepo

Everything about this book screamed familiar to me. Not because I've read this before but because I wanted to. I've been waiting for it.

And it was so exciting. From the start I knew I'd love this because the story is set in some charming British school, which is always code for a good time. There's also Victoria Spring, who was an amazing main character. What really set her apart is how troubled she was, yet it was so realistically portrayed, just like you would see it in real life, very subtle, very quietly destructive. To see her struggle was both heartbreaking and eye-opening.

And if our main girl is not your typical YA heroine, our main guy couldn't be cookie-cutter either. There's Michael Holden, who is probably one of the most memorable characters I've ever read. So happy and eccentric on the outside, so broken on the inside. I loved Michael with all my might and my heart suffered for him so much. He was a bright side and a dark side, and I cannot imagine how any story could survive without someone like him.

The whole game of Solitaire was a very cool part too. I really enjoyed creating my theories and trying to figure out the reasoning behind it all. And although it kind of should be the main focus of the story, the thing I liked the most was getting to know the characters, the interactions between them all, and the family dynamics. I wish I could hug everyone. Victoria's friends, her brother, her brother's boyfriend, they all were a great example of how to make the reader care.

I can say enough good things about the story but it will take me a long time so I'll save you the trouble. Just give this one a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your beautiful face!