Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Review: 9 Days and 9 nights by Katie Cotugno

Title: 9 Days and 9 nights 
Author: Katie Cotugno 
Published May 1st 2018 by Balzer + Bray
Add On Goodreads
________________________________



Despite all its complicated, messy, morally corrupt ways; I loved 99 Days. Maybe because of all of that. I’ve spent five years and as many times re-reading the book that I can assure you, it doesn’t get more real and human than that. I liked that it challenged me to rethink my convictions and see the other side of things. 

9 Days and 9 Nights comes five years after I first read 99 Days, and I am far from the twenty-year-old that read it back then. Much like Molly Barlow, I’ve also learned that our screw-ups are an important part of who we are, even if they are in our past.

While there was definitely less drama involved this time, I was blessedly compensated by so much growth. Like, I was so proud of every single character, Molly, Gabe (who has honestly become my favorite Donelly by a long shot), Imogen, Diana Barlow, Ian, even Sadie. I don’t think I have ever quite liked every single character, flaws and all.

I also rejoice by how expertly Katie Cotugno managed to write a book that actually teaches you something without sounding preachy. You can make bad decisions and not be a bad person. You can take control of your body and having it be your business and not a single person should convince you otherwise. You can move to the other side of the world with your boyfriend of two months and not be considered stupid. Sometimes the people we love are the ones we hurt the most, but we are allowed to ask forgiveness. 

There were also a few things I didn’t like, like how maybe Ian was thrown under the bus for a bit there, to make a (very important, I must admit) point, but I felt a little bit cheated because I’ve managed to believe he was pretty darn great. It was also a bit easy to figure out where everything was going from a mile away, still the ride was enjoyable enough to ignore it. 

I think I can say that I was not at all disappointed with this sequel that came out of nowhere for me. I didn’t expect it, I didn’t ask for it, but now that I have it, I must confess I am really glad I got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your beautiful face!