Saturday, August 3, 2013

Review: The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp

Title: The Spectacular Now
Author: Tim Tharp
Published October 20th 2008 by Knopf Books for Young Readers
Goodreads | Amazon
_______________________________

 
When I finished this book I was like: sure my copy is missing some pages, I mean, there's no way it ends like this...

But it does. It ends like that, because life is inexplicable and abrupt and stories don't finish for the young. Or maybe they do, but we never get the whole story so I accept it. I accept the end, but I don't accept not having a clue about where Sutter ends.

I loved Sutter, he made the book for me. He's like a naughtier version of Ferris Bueller, too well-liked for his own good. He's funny and charming and fun, and he cracked me up. Yet I still felt like I couldn't figure him out most of the time. And mostly because I don't think he has even figure out himself. The teenage is just one abyss no one can explain for sure.

And then we have all these secondary characters who, to be really honest, rocked. I liked them because they felt real and not someone's idea of how teenagers are supposed to be. I felt like they could have been any of my friends. And I liked that they were more than just one dimension in the Sutter universe, especially Aimee and Cassidy, Marcus and Ricky. 

My biggest complain, though, is that I don't really see much point to the story. Sure, Sutter grew up and is on his way to become a fine young man, but still. What about Aimee? I seriously doubt she learn anything but how to be jealous and claim ownership on people.

However, I really had a great time reading and am waiting anxiously for the movie version, I might end up liking it more since I'm a sucker for love stories (like the movie seems to be) and the book wasn't romantic AT ALL. 
 
 
 
 
Here's the link to the movie trailer, which looks amazeballs:
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your beautiful face!