Friday, March 21, 2014

Review: Panic by Lauren Oliver

Title: Panic
Author: Lauren Oliver
Published March 4th 2014 by HarperCollins
Genre: Contemporary Young Adult
Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository
____________________________________________


Panic is the newest (and my first) Lauren Oliver novel. I knew of her (who doesn't) and I knew of the huge hype her books cause, and all the fan base she has acquired. So yeah I was a little bit scared to tackled this book. And my expectations were high.

Since this is a contemporary novel, I felt like this was my chance to start something that I would probably like, and I went ahead. I did like Panic. I liked that the dual Point of view was not shared by the two parts of a couple but rather by two practical strangers that end up being friends.

Heather and Dodge both participate on Panic this summer. Panic is a dangerous but entertaining game high school seniors play for the fame and money. At the start I didn't really liked, or get, either Heather or Dodge. They were both whining and complaining and didn't seem to have a lot of potential. But as the story progressed I started to like them, I saw where they were coming from and why they were that way and my heart felt for them.

While the plot story was great and the writing style was romantic and engaging, I really didn't think the book was that exciting for me. I figured everything out very early on and had a lot of trouble to keep going. However, I did finish the book and that counts a lot to me. The romance aspect wasn't the main focus but I did liked the way it developed with one of the couples, Heather and Bishop; and how they went from best friends to something more. Dodge and Nat gave me a little bit of trouble, I could really see how obviously in love Dodge was but Nat was enigmatic and I had a hard time believing she truly was interested in him.

The game was cool to read about and witness but completely terrifying to think about. Like, in some form or another, people actually do stuff like this in the streets. It strengthens my conviction that every teenager should get a 24-hour job in the summer.

So basically, a good book that made me glad I tried Oliver's books (finally) even though it didn't quite convert me into her fan base. But I am sure it is going to please everyone else who has been waiting for her next work.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your beautiful face!