Monday, June 18, 2012

Review: Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Title: Unearthly
Author: Cynthia Hand
Published January 4th 2011 by HarperTeen
Goodreads | Amazon
_______________________________________



(Read: December 2010)

This book is not what I expected. It has so many 5 stars reviews that maybe I set my expectations too high, I guess.

The first part was very boring and endless!, it was just Clara either complaining her mother didn't give her answers to the angel-related questions she had, or talking endless about her vision and purpose, or just obsessing about a guy that a) already had a girlfriend and b) wasn't even that interesting.

It wasn't until the second half of the book, that I became interested in the story, when she starts hanging out with Tucker, the twin cowboy brother of one of her best friends, Suddenly the book got really cute and sweet, but still :/

The truth is that I feel like the book is not very deep at all, even though it focuses on angels, it was kind of flat, and I think it has do with the fact that it's supposed to be part of a series, so a lot of things were left unexplained, but something should have been closed, I feel like we only got tiny glimpses of a story with potencial; but if you're gonna do that, I expect that AT LEAST the characters are well developed and interesting enough to hook me, so I can buy the next book.

and one big turn off for me was Clara. She had no personality at all, she was supposed to be an angel for God's sake! but she wasn't interesting, so I had a hard time trying to understand why two perfect boys were interested in her, is it only because she is so hot and just beautiful beyond this world?
Well I don't know, what I know is that she was ANNOYING AND CLINGY AND OBSESSIVE GIRL,

At the end of the book *SPOILER AHEAD, CAUTION SPOILER AHEAD*  we get to discover that Christian, the guy who is her purpose in life, is also an angel, so she doesn't know what to do, stay with Tucker, who she loves, or go with Chritian, who is possibly destined for her, or at least has a connection to her that cannot be denied. And her little brother, who is also an angel, suddenly has black wings, which means he has done something very bad.

Well, by then I couldn't care less, I wasn't hooked, those characters were never really approached, so it felt like a last attempt to draw some interest to them.

The only thing that save the book, to me, was the brief romance between Clara (thank God she finally stopped the nonsense) and Tucker, who was the only three dimensional character.  And the reason I finished the book.




2 comments:

  1. You know, Tucker didn't really work for me (not that I loved Christian or anything). I can see he's been very popular with bloggers but I'm just not a fan. I wonder if the sequel Hallowed would be better for you (I haven't had a chance to read it myself yet).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love Cowboys, and I think I loved him for that... but I don't remember much of him so I must not be in love with him like I thought haha

      Hmm, I don't know about Hallowed, not a big fan of the first one as you can see ):

      Delete

I love your beautiful face!