Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Review: All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terril

Title: All Our Yesterdays
Author: Cristin Terril
Expected publication: September 3rd 2013 by Disney Hyperion
Goodreads | Amazon
_____________________________


While I definitely liked the story line of All Our Yesterdays, and like every other normal person, I obsessively love time travel and paradoxes and Marty McFLy; I had trouble enjoying the book like I should have.

Because even though I knew this novel is fiction, some times it was too out there for me. Yes, I know, I'm reading time travel, what did I expect? you ask. It's just that the characters sometimes were pretty unbelievable, like James, this seventeen year old genius/villain that Em called Doctor (and therefore my mind evoked flashes of Doc Emmet every time he was in a scene). I mean really? what are the odds a seventeen year old invents a time machine? it just makes me laugh. But I got past that and then what do I get? 
 
Marina/Em. That's what I get for sticking through it? a main character who annoyed me to no end. It was hard to sympathize with her because I just couldn't understand her level of infatuation. Borderline obsession, actually. And except for a few glimpses of a young James helping Marina when she fell off her bike, I didn't even understand what she saw in him or why she loved him so much.

And then her "love" for Finn was kind of ridiculous too, because you can't be in love with two guys at once and sometimes it felt like she was just dragging him along, and that's unfair. This love triangle, or whatever, shouldn't have existed.

Now, annoying characters aside. I think this novel hit its mark in terms of time travel. The old and young versions of the main characters facing each other gave the book a cool vibe of childhood fantasies meet reality. I just think the book could have done better without the love triangle and over the top drama between these three.
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I was a little curious about this one, I'm not sure about it so much now. But I will keep an eye out for it at my library.

    Ann@Blogging E-books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah try it out at the library and see if it is for you before you buy it. But if you like love triangles then you'll probably like it. The SciFi vybe was cool.

      Delete

I love your beautiful face!