Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Review: Where Stars Still Shine by Trish Doller

T
Title: Where Stars Still Shine
Author: Trish Doller
Expected publication: September 24th 2013 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Goodreads | Amazon
_________________________________


When they told you this book was about heartbreak and pain and love and reunion, they were not lying. This book was impossible to put down, because as soon as you start to read you get completely invested in this heart-wrenching story of long-lost and new-found love.

I liked Callie from the start. I admired her courage and perseveration even before I found out about her horrible story. I liked her because she was loyal to her mom, even if her mom was a mess, and that's something I get (not approve) but get. Because there's no way to cut the connection between a mother and a daughter.

What really sold me on this novel was Callie's new amazing family. Phoebe was lovely, and the little boys were adorable and perfect in a way only children can be. But most of all, I loved Greg. I loved how he turned out to be the incredible father I knew we would be. I loved his relationship with his family. I loved the way he treated Callie, with infinite patience and love. I love the wisdom and warm he added to the story.

I also love Florida. I never been there but each day I am more and more convinced that it is some kind of paradise. The little Greece tucked away in this Florida town made me want to be the awful tourist buying ten tshirts and a bunch of sponges.

The chemistry between Callie and her love interest, Alex, was definitely there. Although I wish it hadn't started off as a sex-based relationship. I know that Callie isn't a relationship expert but I wish she and Alex hadn't done everything backwards. And I also didn't appreciate the lack of closure but sometimes that just the way it happens.

Some loose threads in there too. Like Alex's father and Callie's relationship with Connor. But at the end this book turned out to be a great summer read.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your beautiful face!