Friday, July 3, 2020

Review: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely FineEleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I did not know what to expect while I first picked up this book. Actually this is one of those few times that I just got it because of a recommendation, without even reading the blurb. Well, I think that actually worked in my favor, since I had zero prejudice and zero expectations.

Had I known what I was getting myself into, I would have picked it up sooner.

Eleanor Oliphant is a loner. Eleanor is a survivor. Eleanor is a lot of things, despite the fact that she believes there is not much to her.

Reading her thoughts made me painfully aware of how many people we pass by without a second thought, unconsciously ignoring their need for even a tiny interaction. Eleanor’s past had a lot to do with the way she is now, her lack of socializing skills, her lack of self-love; but I really feel like she didn’t give herself the credit she deserved. Thankfully, a couple of situations in her life now lead to an avalanche of change and growth.

I like that the book focused entirely on her journey into discovering who she is and what she is worth.

From the moment we meet her, though. It’s plainly obvious that she has a terrible past full of pain, and all through the book the build up to realize what it was was killing me! Well, my one complain of the book was that at the end the secret was delivered in a rather underwhelming manner. However that doesn’t take down from the rest of the story, whose whole point to me feels like a story of self discovery and self-love, which was greatly achieved.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your beautiful face!