Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Top Ten Childhood Books

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

____________________________________________________

I was a huge nerd when I was a kid. I would only read classics or adult-themed books. But hey, don't blame me, those were the only books in my house and I didn't even know there were books especially designed for kids ): I thought children oly read fairytales, but boy was I wrong.

So anyway here's the list...

1. Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra. Dude, how I enjoy this book. When my dad first bought me this book (it was actually a split-in-two edition so I could carry it everywhere) I remember thinking 'well, it does not get better than this'. It's still to this day a book I love to re-read, brings back awesome memories.


2. Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank. Now this one was a recommendation from my 4th grade teacher because back in the 4th grade I was OBSESSED with the holocaust, I mean obsessed as in terrified, I-can't-believe-this-happened-and-noone-stopped-it obsessed. I remember loving Anne Frank, but when I re-read it now, I don't think her writing has much appealing ):


3. Five Chimneys: The Story of Auschwitz by Olga Lengyel. As I said, I was obsessed with this unfortunate topic, so I borrowed this book from the library and I remember reading it in my bedroom at night (because it had awful photos and my mom told me I couldn't read it) and being terrified, it was an eye opeaning experience, as in, there's a world out there where not everything is fun. As of today, it is still a book that gives me serious creeps.

4. A Bolsa Amarella by Lygia Bojunga Nunes. When I went into 5th grade my teacher recommended this book. She was the first person ever to give me a 'childrens' book. I loved it but at the same time it wasn't as challenging. So I didn't took children books seriously.

5. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. Now rise their hand who hadn't read this book.... only YOU?! ma, you're seriously missing out, this is a book for all ages and great for the soul. I still have my first copy, dated 'May, 2010' by my dad, who likes to date the books he buys.

6. Les Misérables by Victor Hugo. I also remember loving this one as a kid, but I don't love it as much now. Guess I was a naive child. But it's good, and you should definitely read it while listening to the soundtrack, or watch the movie, it's also good.

7. Angelas's ashes by Frank McCourt. I loved this book the first time I read it, I connected with Frankie to another level. All he went through was awful, and I did not have a rough childhood by any means, YET he managed to write a story that made me realize as kids we all want and feel the same. Funny story is that until High School I had no idea there was a movie about it too, and when my english teacher played it for class, I spoiled everyone mwahaha.




 
That's it, I now it's a top ten but I don't have that many favorites as a kid. I loved Biographies of random dudes, like Attila the Hun or Rasputin but I don't remember the authors ):


1 comment:

  1. Hey, I was obsessed with WWII books also. And then I read a WWI book and came to the conclusion that I'm obsessed with how horrible human nature can be. Great picks!

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete

I love your beautiful face!