Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Review: Saving June by Hannah Harrington

Title: Saving June
Author: Hannah Harrington
Expected publication: November 22nd 2011 by Harlequin Teen


All while reading Saving June I felt like I was reading another generic grief book. It didn't really have an original, interesting factor.
It was just like any other "suicide" book I've read with the grieving person searching for meaning after a tragedy,
the same generic friends, one gorgeous and bubbly but secretly troubled and the other an extremely handsome young man with a tragic past.

I'm sorry if I'm being harsh but I really want to be honest here, I had high hopes and I'm dissapointed this didn't turn out to be what I wanted it to.

The road trip was 'meh' and the characters were boring and I eventualy got sick of Harper constantly complaining about people comparing her with her dead sister June, because she herself did it ALL the time! she was like "Oh I'm so this, June was so that" and "June was so perfect I couldn't compete".
The other thing that got in my nerves was that she was all the time like "my sister just killed herself and I don't feel like crying, I must be a heartless person" she constantly talked/thought about that and I just wanted to shake her and tell her we all have different reactions to critic times, there's not a rule of what you should do or feel, that's just society trying to make us all its sheep, so screw society!

There was also a lot of love for June in the book, and June didn't leave a good impression of me from what is described of her, so her being the whole center point of the story was just meaningless to me, she might as well hadn't been mentioned and it would've been the same.

I also didn't like many pointless characters, my impression of them was nonexistent, it felt like they were there to add pages to the book instead of adding something to the story.
Like this random character that was in the first pages, he was June's exboyfriend and he and Harper get into a fight because neither wanted to keep June's promise ring. I mean! what's the point?! :/
Neither he or the ring are mentioned after that.

But I guess if you like books like, Amy and Roger's epic detour or The sky is everywhere, then you would like this book. It's the same cat but dirty (that's a weird saying of mine that means that is the same on the inside but disguised on the outside).



Not for me,
but who knows, it might turn out to be your favorite book ever, so give it a try! ;)

3 comments:

  1. I was going to add this title to my TBR pile...but now, maybe not ;) I have seen some really mixed reviews for this title- some people absolutely adored it, others really did not. I am a bit tired of road trip YA, though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Michelle

    I can assure you that your life won't be over if you skip this,

    the road trip was nothing special, I am a road trip lover and didn't think much of this one ):

    ReplyDelete

I love your beautiful face!