Monday, October 10, 2011

Review: Boys, Wolves and Other Things That Might Kill Me by Kristen Chandler

Title: Wolves, Boys and Other Things That Might Kill Me  
Author: Kristen Chandler  
Published May 13th 2010 by Viking Juvenile
_________________________________


I read this book back in January 12, 2011
but since Chandler's second book is coming out this week I figure it was cool to share my experience with her debut work.

I LOOOOOVED THIS BOOK.
I know it's a little early in the year to say this, but it will probably be my favorite of 2011, it has THAT potencial.

It was amazing. It was one of those times when you just love EVERYTHING about a book. Even though it couldn't be more alien to me, not even paranormal books are farther from my reality, yet I loved it. And connect with every character, understood everyone of them.

And if you're like me a don't really care about wolves, it doesn't matter! the wolf part is not boring at all, it kind of felt like big metaphor about life, and I liked that.

Also, I learned A LOT from this book. 'Cause being a city kid, I never stopped to think about how the economy problems and all the recession thing affected the ranchers and not just us in the city.

The book setting is West End, Montana, popullation: 900-and-something.
Story's heroine: KJ (Katherine Jean). She's sixteen, dislexic, and has a complicated relationship with her father. But not in a I-hate-you-we-yell-at-eachother-all-the-time way, it was refreshing to read about a relationship like that, different from every other father-daughter relationships I've read (the few of them in YA books). They both loved eachother but it was just... you have to read it.

I loooooooved KJ. She thinks she's stupid, a redneck (literally), a loser. She couldn't be more wrong. She's brave, and witty, and she doesn't give up. In about 99% of the books I read I end up loving the guy more, 'cause let's face it the guy is usually perfect= cute, romantic, understanding, whatever. Well not here, loooooooved KJ more.

BUT it doesn't mean I didn't love the guy. I loooved Virgil, too. He's sooo brave, and understanding, and overall, the boy has guts. He was even shot and he didn't complained or anything, 'cause he knew there might be consecuences when you fight for the things you believe in. And he wasn't afraid.

So, again, I loooooooved EVERYTHING about the book.
I would have liked some more romance, though (I'm a romantic what can I say?) but I'm soooooo pleased with it, I just can't complain.
The book's awesome.

Oh! forgot to say that a lot of parts were laugh out loud funny! The most embarrasing things happen to KJ, seriously <3


3 comments:

  1. I kept seeing this book around, but I never picked it up since I hadn't really heard anything about it. Based on your review, it sounds like it's really good! Maybe I'll have to pick it up next time I see it. Thanks for reviewing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a wolf person but I'm glad to hear it isn't boring all. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Karen, yeah it wasn't that popular but maybe now that it's being published in paperback by Speak and with a new cover it'll get more attention?


    @Alexis, yeah it's really a big metaphor using wolves, BUT I must tell you that wolves are a very BIG part of this book so it might turn out not to be your thing ):

    ReplyDelete

I love your beautiful face!