Monday, October 31, 2011

Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkins

Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkins
Published September 27th 2011 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing

____________________________________

What an good debut! I can't believe this is Michelle's first book. I can assure you that will not able to tell that when you read.

The story is a page-turner, and it's well developed, as are the characters. From Mara, to Noah, to Indi (Mara's mom) and Mara's brothers Daniel and Joseph, everyone was perfectly crafted and smoothly incrusted in the complicated yet unbelievably entretaining puzzle that this book is.

The first chapter is the best example of what is waiting for you: intrigue, spooky times, romance, teenage angst, complicated relationships and a glimpse at a larger paranormal spectrum... or is it mind games?

What is happening? Paranormal stuff? or are we just witnesses of the delusions of a mad girl?

I tell you, whatever it is, you cannot stop thinking about it, and you will wonder, all through the book. Be prepared to made a lot of theories!

Also, I have a kind of love/hate relationship with the first page.
[MINOR SPOILER AHEAD]...
[stop reading if you don't like spoilers, I'm serious!]
I mean what?! Mara is not her name?! makes me feel like I  don't know her at all! even though I know more about her than her mom (so to speak, I know she's not real!!... or is she?). But I have a HUGE crush on the cover, I think it might be my favorite cover of the year, is so so gorgeous!

Noah Shaw:
  • he's British (Oh Noah, where do I get in line for a date with ya?)
  • has killer hair, (ala Robert Pattinson? ehhh I think not, RPatz doesn't wash it)
  • gets away with everything (you know how handy that can be?),
  • is really tall (my 5'11 body and I appreciate that very much),
  • is VERY rich (don't want to be superficial, but he can buy me books, I can't pass that)
  • drives a Prius (don't you love green boys?)
  • loves animals (and does not care if they pee on his Prius)
Although he was kind of a jackass and about 50% of the time I wanted to slap him. He could say the most obnoxious things, too. That's why he's far from perfect. And that's why I rate this book that way, because although the story was highly entretaining and also very original. I did not completely fell in love the characters. Noah (see above) and Mara, who could be such an airhead sometimes.




1 comment:

  1. I just reviewed Mara also! I gave it a 4 star rating as well. The book was amazing.. but the next ones gonna be better for sure! And as for Noah... Yup I agree with your entire list! : D

    ReplyDelete

I love your beautiful face!