Author: Stephanie Perkins
Published September 29th 2011 by Dutton
Things I loved:
- Cricket. I liked him from the first moment I read him, and I know exactly why... because he reminds me of my beloved Dexter from Sarah Dessen's This Lullaby. Cricket's like Dexter long lost twin (yes, Cricket has 2 twins haha), they are both tall and have crazy hair and the same animated, cheerful and extremely charming personality that makes it impossible NOT to love them.
- The setting. I've never been to San Francisco but Perkin's obvious love for it was contagious.
- The childhood flashbacks. Those stories were the cutest! I loooooooved the one about the elevator! *wink*
- The romance. It may have driven me crazy sometimes, but the chemistry and most of all, Cricket's love for Lola, was undeniable.
- Calliope. I understood where she was coming from and why she was so interested in letting Lola know that she was not doing the right thing leading Cricket on. Her interest was saving her brother from heartbreak, and don't we all want to save our brothers from that? (:
- Anna and Etienne. Awww, lovely surprise! they're the best! <3
Things I didn't like:
- The parentals. I mean I get they want to pretect their daughter but really?! did they have to be so rude? It's not like Lola is a saint so why blame only Cricket (or Max for the matter). And they really should have said something to Lola before all the mess exploded, they saw what was happening between her and Cricket and they knew she was with Max, I bet my parents would have sat with me and made me come to my senses.
- Lola's dilemma. If she had a fresh personality, I could have not cared less. Most of the time her selfishness bugged me to infinity and beyond. Maybe because she was young (17)? maybe because she was in love with the jerk (Max)? but I simply didn't get her choices.
- Lola's lack of relationship with her mom. I hated the way she treated her mom, it only made her look selfish and childish. I thought with the costumes and all that she didn't care what people thought of her? her actions told me otherwise.
Things I didn't care about:
- Lola's style.
- The Marie Antoniette gown.
- The anti-hobos trauma.
- The best friend's obsession with Nancy Whats-her-name.
|Isn't he super cute? aww hahaha|
Things I'm excited about:
- The revelation of the conection with Isla's story. [*SPOILER AHEAD*] I was ecstatic to see they're going to France for the Olympics! YAY! I've always liked Isla, she's quiet and serene and shy but she stood up for Anna who she didn't even know that well, and my heart bursts with love for her. And Josh! oh please don't get me started with Josh! he was my favorite character from Anna and the French Kiss and I can't friggin wait for his story! <3.